Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lawsuit in NYC

I just read this article at the New York Post site about an Upper East Side antiques dealer who has filed a million-dollar lawsuit against the vagrants that warm themselves on the sidewalk grate in front of his shop. Presumably they block the view of the fine antiques and have scared away some customers. (OH NO!) The suit asks that the homeless people be barred from anywhere "within a radius of 100 feet" from the store.

When the sidewalks become the property of the storeownwers I imagine all the New York City tourists will be walking in the streets being run down by taxis. When I come to visit the Upper East Side they will shoo me away instantly recognizing that my coat was purchased at Target and my boots at Famous Footware. "Off with you, Hillbilly Woman! You cannot afford to look in on our fine fare!."

Please... someone assure me this is a frivolous lawsuit...
Read it and weep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only in America! "G" and I were told the same thing, that the property we were on was "private" belonging to the store. I thought it part of the city sidewalk. Started noticing how many places people aren't able to walk without trespassing. Especially troublesome in a city like NYC.

How sad, that the owner is trying to get "blood from a stone". Should he win the suit, the next step, I suppose, would be to arrest the people for non-payment of the fine. The man probably has mental issues, making the lawsuit even more ridiculous.