Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Choo Choo

I never met him but I heard about him. Choo Choo. He was one of the regulars but would come and go, as with so many of those who choose this lifestyle. Not everyone who is homeless chooses it. Many are thrown into it and can't dig out. Some of them like the freedom or have grown to know it so well that there is comfort in it. I have learned that many of our new friends take great pride in their survival abilities.

Several weeks ago we had a long cold spell. The temps were not above freezing for days on end and dropped to the single digits every night. It must have been terrible trying to stay warm during that time. Choo Choo didn't. We got word that he was in the hospital with frost bite. Then we heard that they had to amputate his toes. Then he was released and no one knows to what or where.

It is our hope that he has reconnected with a loved one or possibly the Veteran's Hospital. Please keep him in your prayers as he readjusts to a new life... wherever he has landed. God Speed, Choo Choo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: